Energy from Wastewater
Wastewater contains thermal energy, and we can recover some of this energy with heat pumps.
With our HUBER ThermWin® system for heat recovery from sewage we withdraw sewage from the sewer, screen it, pump it through above-ground Heat Exchangers, and then return it back into the sewer.
Because we screen and pump the sewage, we can use compact and cost-effective heat exchangers, wherein we generate a well-defined and turbulent flow for efficient heat transfer.
For screening we use a vertical screw screen ROTAMAT® Pumping Stations Screen RoK 4 that is compact and lifts the screening through its vertical auger. Returned sewage flushed the lifted screenings over a chute back into the sewer.
- Efficient use of renewable and sustainable energy
- Unlimited availability, secure supply
- Local and free, decentralized heat source
- Cost-effective from a dry weather flow of around 10 L/s
- Negligible effect on wastewater treatment (sewage cooling by 1 – 2 °C only)
- Independence from sewer size
- Use of compact, efficient and cost-effective heat exchangers
- Heat exchangers above ground (easy access for installation and maintenance)
- Little construction work (narrow manhole beside sewer)
- Minimal interference of existing sewers (only drilling of two holes)